Are you an International Graduate, with an Australian education, who wants to gain valuable work experience before returning home, or move onto a more permanent visa?


The grant of this visa allows one to live, study and work in Australia for a further 18 months to four years, depending on which of the two (2) streams may suit.


Firstly, to be eligible for either stream ask yourself:


Are you currently in Australia?


Are you under 50 years of age?   √


Do you hold a current Student or Bridging or visa?  √


Do you have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course?


*Click on the link below to see if your course is registered with The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS):


Do you meet the Australian Study Requirement in the last 6 months?

*Meeting the Australian Study Requirement entails meeting either the 2 academic year requirement or the 16 calendar month requirement.

o   2 academic years = 92 academic weeks of study, based on the registered duration of each course.

16 calendar months =  If you have spent time over the university break and completed your course in a period shorter than 2 years, the actual period of study must meet a minimum of 16 months.

To find out what the completed course duration is, contact CRICOS.



Secondly, assess what stream of the Graduate visa your qualification allows you to suitably apply for:

  •  Graduate Work stream: Is your qualification received related to an occupation on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skilled List?  


*Click on the link below to see if your course is CRICOS registered:


  • Post-Study Work stream: Is your qualification an eligible Higher education degree?


Eligible degrees include: Master by Research and/or Doctoral degree, Master (Extended), Master by Coursework, Bachelor with Honours, Bachelor (at least 3 academic years).





If you are granted a Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485 , you must find your own employment.