What permanent residents should know about the RRV?

Having been granted a permanent visa allows you to travel and enter Australia as many times as you want until the expiry date. The expiry date, which is a whole 5 years after your grant date is the expiry date of your travel facility and not your visa. However if you want to return to Australia after the expiry date, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa RRV (subclass 155, 157). This RRV will extend your travel facilities for 5 more years in Australia. That is why it is important for every permanent resident visa holder to understand the requirement of this visa in order to avoid future disappointments when your PR is about to end.

RRV Subclass 155 with residence requirement met:

The first condition to be eligible for a RRV, is not to have your visa cancelled. There is also a residence requirement of 2 years. This 2 years don’t need to be consecutive, they can be a sum of several shorter periods.

Once you met this 2 requirements you can apply for a RRV at anytime. You don’t need to wait until the end of your PR to apply for the RRV. We actually suggest you to apply for the RRV before the end of your permanent resident visa.

If you were out of Australia for 5 years minus a day, you can still enter the country before your travel exipry, stay 2 years, and apply for your RRV.

RRV Subclass 155 with established substantial ties of benefit to Australia:

If you have not met the 2 years residency requirements, you still have a chance to be eligible for the the RRV if you can prove that you failed to meet the residence requirement for serious reasons, and most important, that you have substantial ties of benefit to Australia (business, cultural, employment and personal ties. However this RRV will only extend your travel facility for a year.

Business ties:

You will have to prove that you have substantial ownership interests in an Australian business or that you are involved in the operation and management of the business at a senior level.

Supporting documentation: Financial report, company report, organizational chart and anything that shows the contribution to Australia should be provided to increase you chance of success…                                                                                                                                               

Cultural ties:

You might be able to claim cultural ties as substantial ties of benefit to Australia if you are contributing to art, sport, or any cultural activity. Once again you will have to demonstrate the benefit of your activity to Australia. The contribution of your work needs to be at the level of public recognition and not as a personal level.

Supporting documentation: publications by you (better if they mention your ties to Australia), Australian publications, membership with cultural associations in Australia, any evidence of work…                                                                                                                                                       

Employment ties:

If you are employed by a company in Australia or if you have a job offer, you could also claim substantial benefit to Australia. If the company is not Australian you will have to show evidence that the activity of your company benefits to Australia.

Supporting documentation: letter of offer, employment contract, employee identification…..              


Personal ties:

Personal assets in Australia and family members are considered under personal ties. Which means that if you have been living oversea with your Australian partner or if you have been residing in Australia for a long period of time, you might be able to claim personal ties.

Supporting documentation: Identification documents (birth certificate, proof of permanent residence and Australian residence of close family, Australian property documents) all items that you might think necessary                                                                                                                 

RRV (subclass 157)

If you have not been able to meet the 2 year residence requirement or to prove any substantial ties benefit to Australia, the RRV subclass 157 might be another solution. The RRV subclass 157 will only extend your travel facility for 3 months after having been granted. The condition to be eligible for this visa is to have spent at least 1 day in Australia during the validity of your PR and to provide compelling and compassionate reasons for your absence with supporting document.

If you are applying from Australia you will have to explain why you have to leave and return into country. If you are out of Australia you ll need to show evidence to explain why you left the country.      


Please contact us for further information, as you might also be eligible for other visa categories.

We offer free short preliminary phone assessments to advise you on eligibility and discuss your best options.